The term “serviciability” can be defined as follows: ability to be diagnosed, replaceable, removable, adjustable, repairable, powered … in the easiest way possible.
The term “ Serviciability” or “ Maintenability” can be defined as Ability to be diagnosed, replaceable, removable, adjustable, repairable, power. .. in the easiest way possible. Both by the company and the customer.
Design For Serviceability provided help for :
- Establish a disassembly sequence
- Identify parts that need to be replaced
- Determine a difficulty level
- Establish a winding sequence with a time estimate
- Reduce maintenance
- Provide complete customer documentation
- Minimize the number of “layers” of components
- Easily access components with high probability of breakage
- Develop a modular structure
- Minimize the number of connections between subsets
- Use standard components and fixings where possible
- Minimize complexity for maintenance (simplicity in diagnosis and intervention).
- The 6 chapters of the DFS
The DFS is broken down into 6 chapters, each of which presents clusters of questions to answer to the principles of DFS.
Chapter 1 : The Position
- Did the design take into account the frequency constraints of changing parts ?
- Can the components be reached with the hands or with a standard tool
- Can the components be easily removed from their location ?
- Have the components been grouped together for ease of service ?
1.2 The obstruction
- Must components be removed to improve visibility and access ?
- Is there a potential risk of damaging the components next to the one we need to work on?
- Is it easy to have a little more space by removing … the adjacent components ?
- To intervene, do you have to reorient the parts multiple times?
- Can fluid be retained in the system ?
- Do you need to damage other parts to replace the one that broke ?
- Are the components clearly visible for diagnosis and intervention ?
- Is the assembly “Best in Class” ?
Chapter 2 Simplification
Have you reduced the number of parts by setting up the DFA ?
- Have you reduced or eliminated the settings by the user?
- Have the components been grouped by functions ?
- Are the components located “logically “?
- Components have clear instructions ?
- Components have a color code ?
- Is disassembly obvious ?
Chapter 3 Standardization
3.1 Component and subcomponent
- Can you use an industry standard ?
- Is this component usable on another product ?
- Is this component compatible with old or new versions ?
3.2 Fixing and connectors
- Are the fasteners and connectors of the same type, size ?
- Are they compatible with other products ?
- Is the orientation of the fixtures the same ?
- Can you intervene with the minimum of tools
- Can you intervene without specific tools ?
- Can the components be handled with the hands ?
- Are the tightening torques within acceptable limits ?
- Does the intervention require protective elements for the person ?
- Have you included elements to help with editing and usage (arrow to show meaning, color code …) ?
- Do the Threads Already Contain Threadlocker ?
- Have you included setting, lifting, pressing points … ?
- Is the person autonomous when a piece breaks ?
Chapter 4: Designed to be repaired
4.1 Clear operation
- Are parts easily localizable?
- Should disassembly / reassembly be done in a specific order ?
- The design clearly indicates when the repair is done ?
- Have you eliminated the sharp edges ?
- Have you eliminated the risk of shocks ?
- Have you eliminated energy risks compression of springs, fluids under pressure … ?
Chapter 5 : Product Usage
- Have you designed the parts to prevent the risk of corrosion, reaction with other fluids, mold, dirt … ?
- Have you designed the parts to avoid premature wear due to vibration, mechanical stress, temperatures ….?
- Are the parts protected against shocks?
- Are the parts designed to be recyclable or returned to production?
Chapter 6: Diagnosis
- Have you included maintenance indicators ?
- Have you included wear limit or usage indicators ?
- Do you suggest to the user the procedures for diagnosis ?