Self-quality is an important tool for giving versatility and involving staff in the company’s Lean 6 Sigma approach.
By definition, the concept of being a customer is a process of being considered by the individual. This is to implement the 3 principles of the1 :
I do not get, I do not and I do not give no quality
First step, we’ll Standardize the operations. It should make it simple and clear to reduce the risk of error.
2-Setting up self-control
Self-control consists of empowering staff to judge defects (whether or not the product is accepted) and to implement corrective actions.
We will rely on control standards, reaction standards and the development of Défauthèques to create training.
3 – Establishing the principles of Jidoka
The Jidoka represents the willingness to no longer produce until the problem is resolved. This culture must be implemented by applying the various tools of the Jidoka.
4-deploying statistical control of processes
The aim of this methodology is to set up statistical tools for monitoring production. Based on the implementation of control charts and capability studies, it will allow us to identify the source factors of variability, and to stabilize our processes.
5-the self-quality matrix
The challenge of the self-quality matrix is to make the quality level of each workstation of a process Visual and to establish a relationship between the location of the defect detection and the origin of the fault. In other words, it is a matter of seeing if our processes are robust enough to be able to detect the defect at the time it is produced.
5.1 – Building The Matrix
- Cut processes into easily identifiable elements (workstation . 1, workstation . 2…).
- In column: Put all the posts by integrating the upstream posts (the suppliers). These are the positions that should not produce a defect.
- On lign: Put all the posts for which we can identify faults, internal customers (sorting, shipping…) and external (up to the end customer). These are the positions that will not have to transmit or receive any defects.
- Identify for each Position the different means of controls that have been set up: standard, Poka-Yoké, self-control…
5.2 – Setting up indicators
Beyond the ” classic ” Indicators of non-quality (number of customer claims, rejection rates…), the key indicator of the autoquality is the ” good on the first move “. In other words, we will measure the relationship between the defects generated and detected by the workstation and the total defects generated by the same workstation. At the most we are close to 100% at the most our process of self-quality is efficient, the workstation that generates the defect is able to detect it.
The management of the quality
The slefquality does not declare itself overnight2. It is first of all a desire of the management to support a positive dynamic of research of the best quality. For this, everyone has a role to play:
- The operators: trained in the principles of the selfquality, they must above all respect the standards, put themselves in an attitude 0 defect and communicate around problems.
- Team Leaders: They must apply the Genchi Genbutsu attitude and enforce the standards. Beyond that, they have to take the time and give the staff time to solve problems.
- Support Services (Purchasing, human resources…) : Often the “ forgotten ” of the approach, self-control and its principles also apply to them. This will in particular help to participate in the change of culture of the whole company.
- The Quality Department: in charge of the deployment and the monitoring, it must be force of proposal in the improvement of the means and systems of controls and ensure that the customer requirements are respected.
- the management: Management is once again playing a key role. Exemplary in attitude and mindset, it must ensure consistency with the objectives of the company and give the time and means to guarantee the quality.
1-F. Saverino (2010) – Decrease the non-quality in the company
2 – M. Ballee, G. Beauvallet (2013) – The Lean management
P. Bédry (2012) – The basics of the autoquality